Greetings! I know I usually share news related to music, but for this blog post I’d like to talk about health. Year after year I observe my friends and family and colleagues and students and students’ parents get sick with colds and flus, and fortunately I am able to fend off these maladies. It could be that I am blessed with an unusually strong immune system, and that may be true. But I do work pretty hard at ensuring that I am healthy, and I thought that it might benefit you to read about some of the things I do on a regular basis. Most of these you have probably heard before, but there may be something new, too.
Here they are:
- Feel and think healthy feelings and thoughts! I do daily affirmations and meditations which include saying how happy and healthy and blessed I am. I also regularly draw universal loving healing energy to me, trying to allow every cell of my body to receive it.
- Exercise! I do some type of exercise nearly every day. I run about 3 times a week, mostly on grass in parks or on trails in the woods and meadows, for 2.5-10 miles, depending on how much energy and time allows. I always do a good stretch afterwards. I run year round, in all kinds of weather, including rain, snow, and ice! Frequents walks, yoga, weight lifting, dancing, bicycling, tennis, basketball, American football, baseball, and swimming, have also been part of my routine in varying degrees.
- Eat well! Nearly every day I eat several different colors and types of fruits and vegetables, as well as high quality grains and legumes and meats. Whenever possible I choose organic food!
- Sleep! I nearly always make getting a good night’s sleep a priority. Sleep is so healing!
- Take the best herbs and vitamins and minerals available! Here is a list of some of my favorites:
- Il Hwa Korean Ginseng Extract Tea which provides a whole host of benefits which include lower blood pressure, nerve growth, red blood cell production, and increasing physical stamina among many others. I buy this product in Columbus, Ohio at Hsu & Co. Mrs. Hsu started her business by first going door to door selling this ginseng, and now has three stores in the area.
- Sun Chorella, either in tablets or granules which helps support your body’s natural detoxification process.
- Double X Multi-Vitamin and Multi-Mineral and Plant Phytonutrient Tablets, made by Nutrilite, the only global vitamin and mineral brand to grow, harvest, and process plants on their own certified organic farms.
- Fish Oil-I take the Nutrilite Balanced Health, which has EPA which promotes healthy blood flow, joint mobility and DHA which helps with brain function.
- Rhodiola for a clean energy boost, without jitters or a crash afterwards. This product helps you more easily get in that out of body zone when exercising.
- Others I love: Hawthorne for the heart, Ginkgo for the brain, Dandelion for digestion, Tulsi for raising metabolism, and Kombucha which is a natural probiotic that can boost your energy.
Keep in mind that the health benefits listed here are only a fraction of the overall support that these products provide.
If you would like to learn more about plants and herbs, Sarah Baldwin is an
excellent resource. I attended a wonderful Herbalism Workshop with her last year,
and she now writes a blog.
Also my brother Andy Reed is now teaching people how to make their own fresh probiotic kraut, which you can read more about here.
So, hopefully this has been helpful to you, whether you learned something new or were just reminded of what you already know. Please let me know if you feel I left something off the list-I am always looking for ways to be even more healthy! And if you have questions about anything I mentioned, please let me know.
Wishing you a life of abundant happiness and health!